Kodály's "Christmas Dance of the Shepherds" for a women's choir and a wind instrument was composed between 1927 and 1935. The text is based on a hungarian christmas carol. Elisabeth M. Lockwood translated it into English for this edition. István Volly conducted the choir of the Homok-Street-School at the premiere in Budapest in 1935. The flute solo was played by István Czeiner.