James Rae: City Snapshots
Contents – City Snapshots for 1-2 clarinets with CD or piano accompaniment
- Manhattan Sunset (New York, U.S.A.)
- Belvedere Waltz (Vienna, Austria)
- Wembley Victors March (London, United Kingdom)
- Oktoberfest Ländler (Munich, Germany)
- Little Polka (Prague, Czech Republic)
- Monmartre Waltz (Paris, France)
- Cossack Dance (Kiev, Ukraine)
- Lotus Blossom (Shanghai, China)
- Tango Argentino (Buenos Aires, Argentina)
- Reggae Nights (Kingston, Jamaica)
- Dromedaries at Dusk (Cairo, Egypt)
- Liffey Jig (Dublin, Ireland)
Although written for beginners (Grade 0-2), James Rae’s “City Snapshots”, for clarinet(s) and piano manages, even at this level, to capture the essence of music from around the world.
Amongst the twelve pieces, we find a waltz in Viennese style that could have been written by Johann Strauss himself, a dreamy blues from Manhattan, a Cossack Dance from Kiev and a lively Irish Jig to finish the world tour in Dublin. To accommodate beginner clarinetists, all the pieces are written in the low register, in comfortable keys. Nor will teachers have any problems with the piano accompaniments, which also include chord symbols.
An entertaining adventure for children – whether alone or in duet.
Patricia Stuart-Carberry – Clarinet Teacher and Examiner for the AMEB in Australia (May 2018)
The concept is (...) excellent, blending music instruction with geography. Actually, conceptually, this kind of publication could be used to start many types of discussions in young classrooms, using music as the central thread to carry the discussion.
I particularly like early introduction of the dotted quarter note/eighth note (dotted crochet/quaver). I find this can be a challenge for young players, but introducing this concept at an early stage can help the student to learn to count rhythms rather than depend on purely imitating their teacher at those beginning stages.
John Cipolla – Professor of Music (Clarinet, Saxophone) at Western Kentucky University (April 2018) https://works.bepress.com/john_cipolla/
This is another fine work by Jim and the team which fits the bill perfectly. The more novice player here can access some idiomatic and stylish music with relative ease and the recording quality is both convincing and supportive.
Jeffery Wilson – Composer, Performer, Pedagogue (April 2018)
- for 1-2 clarinets with CD or piano accompaniment
- Edition type:
- Sheet music with CD
- Rae James
- Jazz/Blues, Pedagogy, Play Along
- Edition info:
- The accompanying CD contains full performance and play-along versions. The piano part is included on the CD as PDF is available in print as UE21773.